P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

What do I expect from the 70s?


One of my weird quirks is my love for hippie movies, although I hate all things hippy (and 1960s baby-boomer). I don't mean to say that I like the movies or think they are any good, but they are always worth a watch just for the unintentional humor they give. Movies like Easy Rider, Jesus Christ Super Star, M*A*S*H, even Fear & Loathing in Los Vages. They are all just so damn ernest, and that is what makes them so bad.

I just saw the be all and end all of hippe movies. Brother Sun, Sister Moon. If you don't know, it is about how St. Francis of Assisi was the first hippie. And he wanders around the Tuscan hills guitar in hand, pressing flowers to his heart. It is one of the most campy (in both senses of the word) movies I have seen. Check it out, and be sure to have a lot of wine when you watch it ... you're going to need it.

2 Comments:

Blogger SomethingInMyEye said...

I was on a retreat at a monastery in the mountains once & a brother (monk? friar? i don't know) gave me this movie b/c my name is claire & b/c I was there during St. Clare's feast day. I liked it! Although it was verrrry hippie I admit. Reminds me of what Zooey says to Franny about how Jesus is not St. Francis, all frolicking w/ the fauna and whatnot.

12:10 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is AWESOME.

will check it out as soon as i'm in an english-speaking country again.

5:39 AM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home