P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Thursday, July 29, 2004

Art For Man's Sake

I have run across an interesting idea, and I want to share it with you. Ideally, you will find it interesting to, and either agree or disagree with it. I meet this notion in Paul Johnson's Art: A New History (No, I am not trying to impress anyone by saying that I am reading this huge book; in fact I am on page six). In the book he says that one of art's primary functions is to order the life of man. This idea about art is new to me. I always thought that you could argue that art is for beauty or function, but the necessity of order in our lives seems to be filled by other things. At least that is what I thought at first. But what orders our lives seem to be things of our own making. Thus the name, artefact. Almost every ordering thing in our life come from art; personal planners, calendars, clocks, etc. If we can say that language is an artefact, then the best ordering principle of human existence is from art. Where do the fine arts come in though? How do they order? I cannot answer this question. I guess I will have to get past page six.

1 Comments:

Blogger ridley said...

So philosophy bores the crizzap out of me, but I'll take any opportunity to weigh in on fine art. The artifacts you mention, anything from applied mathematics to PalmPilots, do indeed order our lives, in terms of day-to-day whatever, giving us time to do other things for their own sakes, ie fine art and philosophy.

The ordering function that fine art has is harder to see. I think fine art serves to order one's emotions; not emotions in the sense of passions, at least "physical" passions, although these are necessarily involved. I mean emotions in the sense of that part of the soul which is not rational yet not anti-rational...often presumed to be in opposition to reason, but in reality just other than reason, and often much stronger. Sort of the way the gift of faith is deeper in the soul than reason: a man who cannot explain how the Faith is possible in the face of rational arguments can still believe it with all strength. Anyway, I think fine art speaks to and exercises this aspect of the soul. It allows you to make clear to yourself the things you know best but can least explain, the wordless knowledge of the heart.
For example, man's longing for God and the tragedy of the barrier of original sin are concepts that have always been more real to me through music, etc, than through any rational explanation.

So yeah, does that make any sense?

7:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home