P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

I am In Way Over My Head

Yesterday I received my internship at the Independence Institute (link just to the left). I will spend all summer with David Kopel, a National Review Online columnist and gun nut. I will also get to have lunch with Governor Bill Owens, hopefully my senators Allard and Salazer, and just about every one in our state house and senate, as well as the publishers of the Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News, and the head of the new Clarmont Institute branch in Denver. And a recruiter for the White House Internship Program will interview all of us. Oh, and I will even get my own cubicle. I am a little worried though, the other two interns go the Dartmoth, and Cornell. Will I get exposed as the fraud that I am?
That said, the place is the weirdest gun-loving, free-market, taxes-hating place I have ever seen. Not that I have seen many think-tanks before, even far-right ones. All the fellows who I meet, when they heard I would be working with David Kopel, said "You'll need a gun". I still don't know what they mean.
The lady I interviewed with was one of the most impressive people I have ever meet. She was born in 1940 in Holland, and both of here parents where in the resitance; she said something like "the nunns" where going to raise her if at any point her parents where killed. In the first five minutes of our conversation she called herself a Calvinist. Over the course of Two hours we talked about every thing. God, Christ, the Reserection, the Second Coming, The Unity of the Church, Abortion, Cloning, Stem-cell research, Euthanasia, the Republican Party, the Democratic Party, the Free-Market, Highways, suburbain versus urban living, etc.
Its going to be a great summer!

1 Comments:

Blogger Prophet said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Sounds like you are well on you way. So what did you tell the coffee people?

5:10 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home