P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Monday, June 27, 2005

All Cliches & No Roman Cannon Makes Dan a Dull Boy

I am watching EWTN's news summary of the bishop's conference in Chicago. The bishops are talking about the liturgy, and Cardinal Egan is making wonderful points about these constant liturgical revolutions. This has gotten me thinking about the mass I went to on father's day. I thought it would never end. After communion the priest got up and talked for five minutes. Then a young man from Totus Tuus talked for about ten minutes. Then the priest got up again and talked for another five minuets, and then ... well at that point I was so irate and I had to catch my bus, so I had to go (but I heard the priest calling up all the children to come up to bless the fathers). I mean, how hard is it to end a mass? And then there is the music, (now I am not a typical TACer, I hated the music at TAC. I do not consider the "music" sung at TAC the apex of litutgical music). The chior sung Amazing Grace; I love the song, but it is a prodi song. I mean are they going to sing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot during communion? And then, what about the Roman Cannon? I don't know how long its been since I heard a priest say the Roman Cannon. Even Bishop Chaput, such a great bishop in everything else, dosn't even say the Roman Cannon. If the priests would just put their foots down and tell the choirs to shut up, then they could fit it in. But no! The second eucharistic prayer is the only one you'll ever hear. This prayer should only be used when the nazis are breaking down the door looking for the priest (and even then I think it is a venial sin to say it in place of the Roman Cannon). Could some one please tell me if the first word of it are,

Father You are holy indeed, the fountain ...
or, Father You are holy, indeed the fountain ...
or, Father You are holy, indeed, the fountain ... (This third one makes no theological sense, and thus is the one most often said by the pries.t)

Ever time I hear the second eucharistic prayer that is all I can think about, and it causes a real existentail crisis for me. So if you could tell me what the prayer is actually saying, I won't have to go and jump into the Siene.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home