P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Rag Update

Its been a while since I've done this, and I am pretty sure no one reads the articles when I do. Still its my blog, and I want to update you on all the great articles I've read in recent days, in case you missed them.

First Things

I think Fr. Neuhaus has the best article on Katrina and New Orleans that I have read.

St. Andrew's resident 'Analytic Thomist' John Haldane has a great article on the current state and end of philosophy. Side note, when I told him I went to TAC, he actually knew the school, and had the blue book in his library.

About Last Night

Terry Teachout, who is the drama critic for the Wall Street Journal and music critic for Commentary, almost died two weeks ago. He has been posting about going to the hospital and not wanting to die. It's quite interesting and provoking. There is also a great NYC moment, when he the paramedic asks him,

"So youre a drama critic, huh?” one of them asked as they carried me down the stairs. My grandma is coming to town for Christmas—I want to take her to a show. What do you suggest?”

New York Times Magazine

Also about death, this article is quickly becoming a classic, I have ran into references to it all over lately. Its by David Rieff about the death of his mother Susan Sontag. Quote

There are those who can reconcile themselves to death and those who can't. Increasingly, I've come to think that it is one of the most important ways the world divides up. Anecdotally, after all those hours I spent in doctors' outer offices and in hospital lobbies, cafeterias and family rooms, my sense is that the loved ones of desperately ill people divide the same way.

National Review

Kathryn Jean Lopez and Peggy Noonan talking about John Paul II. Noonan says about the male-cenuniverseveras of the Vatican,

They [the bishops and Cardinals] have limited categories — "a woman is my mother who put me through seminary and taught me my faith." [... ] I think they need some Teresa of Avila's ... how to put ... kick their ass.

The New Atlantis

One year out The New Atlantis gets around to reviewing Tom Wolfe's I am Charlotte Simmons. It is by far the darkest of all the reviews I've read. Not because of the sex, but because of the scientific theories underlying Wolfe's understanding of human nature. As a corrective of this article see this one from the New Pantagruel.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Ok, something went wrong with the posting, just ignore the typos.

4:52 AM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home