P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Friday, March 04, 2005

Mono-tasking in a Mutli-Tasking World

Yesterday afternoon I bought and smoked a cigar. I collected everything I needed to smoke it, lawn chair, book, and that kind of thing; as you may well know there is a lot of preparation to smoking a cigar, because if you forget something woe to you, for you cannot go inside and get that forgotten item. For you will either have to leave the cigar or take it inside. The later is usual impossible, and the former will result in the ruination of the cigars flavor. Once the cigar was all a-smoke I decided not to open the book I had so carefully chosen and I just sat and smoked. It was fun. I am a little too into the whole multi-tasking thing. I drink coffee and read, I watch TV and read, I smoke and read, I do my daily prayers when I walk to work, I read at work, I don't know when the last time I just listened to a CD was. Usually I only listen to them in the car or when I (yes I know) read. But it is not just me, every one is caught up into the whole multi-tasking life. My favorite example is that when people go on smoke breaks they have to check their cell phones messages. On one hand this brings to mind Pscal's theory on who we are distracting ourselves so we will not consider ourselves worthless. On the other this multi-tasking world is a good thing, mutli-tasking has made this country the richest and strongest economy ever. As for me, I miss the days when I only smoked on a smoke break, or I could actually listen to a Symphony, or just read. It was nice to just spend half an hour just smoking a cigar and thinking on a warm afternoon, but if I did it too much I would never get any thing else done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home