P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Monday, May 23, 2005

Messiaen vs. Gustin

I was going to write about Dr. Gustin's musical theory and how it is refuted by Messiaen's opera Saint Francois d'Assise, but I saw my other recent posts and I think they are a little long and since there are no comments I think that no one is reading them. So I will ... What the hell, lets talk about the greatest composer of the twentieth century. Do I acctualy care if any one is reading this?
*I've Read lots of theologians, but I always come back to St Thomas Aquinas, who is the mostmodern and rewarding of them all.
*Here, too, we're dealing with a crucial moment (the Resurrection) in the history of the world, the most important moment since the Creation.
*Dodecaphony, serial music, atonal music, the result is the same: music without colour, grey and black. Except to express a terrible feeling of fear and anxiety, I see no emotion in this language, which sought to abolish resonance. I'am afraid that a love of music is missing from such a world.
These are all quotes from Olivier Messiaen, the composer who I consider the greatest of the last hundred years or so (at least since Stravinsky). These are words that could come from any one named Grimm. Yet they are the words of one of Classical Music's most anti-traditional and avant-garde composers. What is my point? Well I have alot to say but I'll try to make just one point. Tonality exists in more modes and ways than even Bach could imagine, and God (and also His image in man) could be expressed and glorified in more ways than St. Mathews Passion. If we want to create art the way the ancients did (Dante, Caravaggio, Bach) we should not look back and make a neo-classical art, but rather look foward, towards God and the Second Coming. We must always push forwards, and be a real avant-garde.

1 Comments:

Blogger ridley said...

Yes! Yes! Art must move FORWARD!! It's just like what Nietsche said in the use and abuse of history: those fuckers hate all art, and therefore they trumpet the art of the past in an attempt to KILL the art of the present. But we won't let them! ONWARDS!

11:19 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home