P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Is Dan Crazy? Vol I

I think it is a little more than coincidence that the three best periodicals around have the same cover template. They all have a bar (either dark of off white coloured) on which the name of the magizine is printed, and than underneth they have all the articles listed on a coloured background. I am talking of course of The New Criterion, Commentary, and First Things. I bring this up because, as I am sure you know gentle reader, that the coloured background on these magazines changes from moth to month. Or as the Commentary advertisment says pithely the journals are "highly variegated". Further, I have noticed that I only willingly buy these magazines when the cover is a pleasing colour. (I say willingly because I make myself (whether I like it or not) buy First Things every month.) When the cover is a friendly yellow, or a deep blue, or a happy green I mearily plop down my $4.50 (or $7.5o for the New Criterion (which I think is too expensive)) for the issue. However if the cover is a boring blue, green, red, or brown I never buy them. No matter how good the articles are, or could be. for example I never bought the issue of Commentary with Norman Podhoretz' article on WWIV because the cover was dark (ie. boring) green. This month's Commentary, however, is yellow, and is therefore some of the best spent $4.50 in my life, and I haven't even gotten to Terry Teachout's article. Does this make me crazy? Well this and about a dozen other things. But at least I'll never buy an issue of Forgein Affairs. Even though I will read it every month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home