P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Friday, September 23, 2005

St. Andrews: Day Two

St. Andrews is one hell of a town. A college and tourist town, that has more bars in it than any other town I have ever been in. On the west side, by the golf course, there are a bunch of hotels, American style pubs and golf shops. That is all tourist, and every tourist I have seen looks to be from America, but we aren't talking the fat older American tourist we are talking the American tourist that can afford to golf at St. Andrews. In other words these people are urbane and rich. Then there is the city center, where most of the university buildings are. This is filled with students and British tourists. On the south-east side of town, where I live, is more Scottish than the rest of the town, that is less touristy and less money.

My flat is in a run down building that resembles a large and very poorly maintained shed. The flat its self is the size of a walk-in closet. But it's not that bad, because my window looks right out on the North Sea. I am not joking, and I am close enough to see the water break as the waves come in. So far the weather has been down right nice for Scotland. It has been sunny for the last two days.

As an American you expect college town to be built around a campus, and there is a sylvan quad and in order to get drunk the students have to walk off campus and go to the nearest pub. Not St. Andrews. The University has no Campus, rather the university just makes up part of the city the way offices and houses do. This makes it extremely hard to find university offices and departments, and I have been lost most of the last two days.
There is more to write about, but I should waite until I start classes and meet people to gossip about. All in all, I wouldn't mind staying here for my PhD. if I can get the money. I shouldn't say that until I start classes though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home