P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Monday, March 27, 2006

My First, Last, and Only Post About Anime

Most, if not all, of my readers will have spent a good deal of their lives in Ridley's van drinking. If you are one of these readers, you'll remember the all night drinking, hot boxing ten packs of smokes in an enclosed space, Marian and Joe going out to talk every ten minutes, and me going out to puke in the bushes ever fifteen minutes. (Now that I think about it, that was only two years ago. Why does it feel so much longer?) You will also remember watching movies and Family Guy, and Futurama and all sorts of random stuff on Ridley's laptop. An all time favorite, at least for Nomikkh, was Cowboy Bebop.

Although I do not consider my self a devotee of the Japanese Animated arts I was quite impressed by the show. I even went so far as to introduce my brothers to the Cowboy Bebop movie. They were not amused.

Since I am on break from class this week I just sit around and watch stuff on my computer. However, the University does not allow me to use P2P software via their network (I guess they don't want to get sued). So you could imagine my excitement when I found a website in which I could stream all 26 episodes of Cowboy Bebop (youtube.com). Well I spent all day Saturday and all day Sunday (minus one hour for mass) watching every episode in order.

I must say the show is more impressive when watched in one go and in order. Also I think the show is far superior to the movie. I think that is because the movie lacks a lot of the humor that the show has. The show's eccentricities are also easier to take when you really know the ins and out of the whole metastory. For example Ed, the first time I watched the show I was not exactly a fan of her. This time when I watched it I really liked her, and I could see why Nomikkh was her biggest fan. It even got to the point that when I watched episode 24 I ... Well I felt really sad.
That is the hallmark of a great TV show. When we flip channels all day, and see Fear Factor and Big Brother we forget that TV can be artistic, every bit as good as movies. Cowboy Bebop is in that category of truly great TV shows, that is something I say about only four other shows: Fawlty Towers, Simpsons, Futurama, and The Office (UK). Pretty good company I say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home