P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My New Addiction

... is D minor. I have become infatuated with the dark deep sounds of the greatest of the minor keys. Once you get to know this wonderful key you'll never go back to E flat major or C major. Here is a short list of some of the great music in D minor,

J.S. Bach - Die Kunst der Fuge, BWV 1080
" - Concerto for Keyboard, BWV 1052
" - Toccata Und Fugue, BWV 538
Mozart - Concerto for Piano No 20, K 466
" - Requiem, K 626
Beethoven - Symphony No 9, Choral, Op 125
" - Piano Sonata No 17, Tempest, Op 31 No 2
Brahms - Piano Concerto No 1, Op 15
Mahler - Symphony No 3

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, I completely agree. I once went on a D minor spree as well. I can't believe I'm reading this. Heh.

You might enjoy some of the debate I've been in in some of these posts:

http://claremont.org/weblog/authors.html#35

Neo-Trads--they specifically rip on analytics, in a completely unjustifiable fashion.

2:56 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm serious about the D minor thing. There is a great little bit by Chopin I have to look up to add to the list. Its the usual RRRomantic type Chopin stick, but it kicks arse. I think it is also the basis for the soundtrack to the old school movie version of The Picture of Dorian Gray.

6:40 PM PDT  
Blogger Andreas said...

Filling up the list - only Bach keyboard music so far, sorry:

Obviously, one might add the two sets of Prelude and Fugue (in d minor) from Das wohltemperiert Klavier. I actually think I like the set from the first book best. The d minor prelude there is quite incredible. Bach at his rythmic best - simultaneously playing with the preceding c minor prelude and anticipating the b minor prelude that will end the firt book.

There is also a very tasty d minor prelude in his Kleine Praeludien und Fughetten. You might remeber this one from the '32 Short Films about Glenn Gould', where they play the Gould-recording of this one while you see a space-rocket go off!! Nice one.

The there's the d minor piece from Zwestimmige Inventionen. This one is simple of course, but quite nice.

A propos the Inventionen, I saw that Andras Schiff has recorded those. Has anyone heard that one? (I'm a great admirer of Schiff's.)

6:55 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home