P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Friday, November 12, 2004

College Students in Heat

The new novel by Tom Wolfe, I am Charlotte Simmons is about what you expect it to be. Mr. Wolfe gives us about thirty characters from a Basketball star to a flamingly gay college news reporter, a whole lot of commentary on social status, and, of course, pages and pages of descriptions of every ones cloths. What is it about this guy?, but he can talk about worn jeans, flip flops, and silk shirts for longer than you ever thought was possible. Now, just because it is what you would expect from Mr. Wolfe that is not putting the book down, rather I consider that a compliment and a recommendation. I have not finished yet but so far it is well worth the time. I should make a disclaimer though. There is a lot of sex in the book, I mean all the reviews I read mentioned this fact so I came prepared, but still there is a lot of sex is this book. So, just mention that fact to any nice naive catholic before they pick the book up. Again this is also not a negative for the book. In fact Mr. Wolfe is laughing at the Sex crazed students, and laying down some thick social critique.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home