P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Madame Bovary & Cognac

I'm wondering if I'm missing something in Madame Bovary. It seems to me there is nothing in her portail in the first third of the book that would indicate that she could become some sort of a sex kitten. I mean the chapters when she is sitting around her fathers house make her seem like a bored but also domestic woman. Then Flaubert trys to paint her a wantabe cosmo girl and it just looks forced. Its still a good book though, and the Anti-clerical Apothecary is one of my favorite Flaubert Anti-Catholisms.
I went to Applejack Liquor today. This place is about the size of a small Wal-Mart and it is all liquor, wine, and beer. I pick out a $40 bottle of Cognac that is on sale for $20 (Francois De Marange Napoleon if you must know). When I got up to the counter this clerk says I have to have an Applejack Andvantage Card to get the sale price. "What the hell is this, do I want to give Applejack Liquor my soul in the form of a two inch by three inch pice of plastic. No way in hell" I say to myself. Then reason sets in. "I do want cognac, and it is like a Vons card, but better. Because Vons has all that other stuff that I don't need like food." Thus, I walked out with a bottle of $40 cognac for only $20, and a shinny new Applejack Advantage Card.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home