P & J

Somehow or other, it never IS the wine, in these cases. -- The Pickwick Papers

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

On Another Note ...

Who ever said that the theater is dead? I was looking through the New York Times this weekend, and only three quarters of all the plays on Broadway are based on movies. I mean tere is one based on the Birdcage, Dirty Dancing, the Godfather, Big, On the Waterfront, Ace Ventura Pet detective, Citizen Kane. Ok, some of those I made up, but come on its getting silly. There are plays based on Twelve Angry Men Beauty and the Beast, Monty Python and the holy Grail, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and the list goes on. Of course this all because of the Poducers. Granted the play was funny, but it was not one of the all time great Broadway hits. It cannot even compare with Porgey and Bess, West Side Story, or Sweeny Todd. What is wrong with this culture?

On another note, and slightly related. David Mamet is considered Les infant terrible (I don't know if this spelling is right) of american theater, right. Every thing I here about his play is that they are dark, cynical, women bashing, dirty. But his movies, at least th ones I've seen, are all very good, and rather un-objectionable. I am talking about the Spanish Prisoner, Winslow Boy, and State and Main. Having only heard about his stage plays I'm a little puzzeled by all this.

On another note, to every one who was in my section last year, that is you Crashboxing, Lirripe (I think), ad al, On of our profs was lying. Not that I expect you to care much, but it is worth noting. He would always mention that Sartre thought that non-beng could be experienced, which on a superfical level is true, Sartre does think that. Now, I hate Sartre as much as the next guy, but we should at least find out what he is saying. He grants our prof that that would be absrd to experience every non-being, so what he does say, and out prof never mentioned (probalbly because he never bothered to check) is that out conciousness has to expect some being that is non-being, and thus we experience some non-being.(that is if I am gettin it right, but it is something like that.) So When Jean-Paul walks into a cafe expcting to meet Edmund and Werner and they are not there, Sartre Says that I do not look over the Cafe and make a mental acts about all the beings. Like "bertrand is not Edmund, Ludwig is not Werrner" and conclude the abscence of Edmund and Werner. Rather I have the Phenomina of their abscence.

Today I got my sisters Christmas prsent in the mail. Art: a New History, by Paul Johnson. I highly recomed this book, and I have bought two copies of it off Amazon and both where under $7.00.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home